Work that Requires a Permit
The City of Daytona Beach Shores Building Department wishes to remind all residents, owners, and managers that THE FOLLOWING WORK REQUIRES PERMITS BE OBTAINED BEFORE THE WORK IS PERFORMED:
1. Remodels generally require a Building, an Electrical, and a Plumbing Permit
2. Drywall removal and reinstallation
3. Water heater replacement
4. Air conditioning condenser or air handler replacement (inside or outside units)
5. Window, entry door, or sliding glass door installation or replacement
6. Kitchen or bathroom cabinet and countertop replacement
7. Electrical upgrades, repairs, and installations
8. Plumbing upgrades, alterations, or replacement and sewer taps
9. Fire sprinkler systems or individual components (new or relocated)
10. Fire alarm systems or individual components (new or relocated)
11. Lanai enclosures
12. Hurricane shutters
13. Vegetation and tree removal
14. Parking lot and driveway re-surfacing
15. Concrete restoration
16. Parking garage exhaust fan replacement
17. Backflow prevention device installation/replacement
18. Roofing repairs and re-roofing
21. Banners (not allowed in multi-family residential districts)
22. Pool/spa resurfacing or repairs
23. Demolition of structures or buildings
24. Shed placement
25. Exterior painting, but only if letters, numbers, or images will be painted
The following work does not require permits: Floor tile, carpeting, interior painting, and exterior painting (unless the exterior painting includes letters, numbers, or images).
The above list may not show all items which require permits. Please check with the Building Department before beginning any repair/remodeling. WORK BEGUN BEFORE PERMITS ARE ISSUED WILL BE SUBJECT TO DOUBLE FEES PLUS A $100 PENALTY.
All permits issued by the Building Department require a final inspection by a Building Inspector. Some permits also require in-progress inspections. Work which is not final-inspected and approved will be subject to code enforcement action.
CONDO/HOME OWNERS MAY WISH TO OBTAIN APPROVED FINAL INSPECTIONS BEFORE MAKING FINAL PAYMENTS TO THEIR CONTRACTORS.